So I went to Anime Expo for the first time this year. This has been a con I’ve wanted to go to on and off pretty much since 2006 and I finally made it. Unfortunately I can’t really say the wait was worth it.
Pretty much the tldr of it is: AX had it’s fun moments but didn’t really make up for the con being not great overall and I’m glad I did it once but I don’t plan on going back.
- The photobooth room setups were super fun, just wait until you see how many pictures we got in the ball pit
- The shuttle buses were a god send, obvi they wouldn’t make much sense at most other cons were things are pretty centrally located but very needed at AX
- I worked ACP’s Monogatari event as Black Hanekawa and really faced a lot of fears since it was an in character event and in character stuff is such a fear for me!
- I got to attend my first Jojo meet up!
- I got to see California friends! (met Jacqui for the first time irl and got too see Jenn, Tilly, and KJ again!)
- The convention center was super nice and the con center’s staff was so friendly
- Little Tokyo was a lot of fun and I want to go back during ALA
- Not a ton of programing, and what there was was super industry oriented which I wasn’t overly interested in
- From what I’ve heard the whole con wasn’t super well organized and staff kind of dropped the ball on a lot of things
- Our hotel, I booked it through the con and was told we’d have two double beds, but we ended up with two twins, which wasn’t the hotel’s fault since that’s what they have and what they advertise when booking directly through them, so I wish AX had done the same
- Did not get to see other Joy when I ran into KJ
- Missed the Jojo english dub premiere (but it was because it overlapped with my Monogatari event)
Got up early, drove from Phoenix, arrived around 3, found out registration was down, went to Little Tokyo. Around 10 pm we found out registration was back up and we would be able to pick up our badges as long as we got there before midnight, so we all took adventures in the LA metro train and went to the con. We were probably in line for about 40 minutes and it was dark and cool so overall we probably had some of the best badge pick up experiences of anyone at the con. We ate some victory macarons and went back to our hotel.
Marcella and I did Scanty and Kneesocks and between sleeping in and getting red, didn’t make it to the con until 2 pm. The cosplays were super well received, much to our surprise, but also super uncomfortable so we were only at the con for like four hours. Some highlights of the day were: some cops outside our hotel asking what we were dressed up for, Alex Louis Armstrong ruruing at us (this ruru has been passed down the Armstrong line for generations.
Jojopocolypse. I was Lisa Lisa and that damn wig continued to kill me (I was honestly tempted to ask if Arda had a dark brown buttercup at their booth and to throw my wig back at the Epic booth) but I got to go to my first Jojo meetup and everyone looked great! Once I got sick of my wig, I changed into my Shinji Ikari Defense Squad shirt and so did Marcella and Mike, we went back to the con and met up with Nikki, who had also put on her Shinji Ikari Defense Squad shirt. So we took Shinji Ikari Defense Squad family photos. We’re thinking of making a calendar.
I wore Black Hanekawa and did the Monogatari event. All of my fellow Monogats were super cute and I had a really fun time! Plus pjs are pretty much the most comfy cosplay ever good news.
I was supposed to go as Shinji but ended up wearing my Joy cosplay since it was more comfy. We were only there a few hours to say goodbyes to friends and make many street passes before heading back to Phoenix.